United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade

#1 Recovering RAID 0

Postby Mongoose » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:06 am

OK so this isnt hugely important right now, and honestly hasnt been in years....but I still want to try. Ive heard and read that it is imposible to recover data from a RAID0 array, but Ive also heard it is very possible to do so. I was trying to get some help from Alexi yesterday on Facebook, but I think I may have mixed up some details, so Im bringing the conversation here, where I can edit what is said if I screw up the story. So, Here goes:

The drives are from my first build WAY back in 05....yes you read that right, 2005. The computer in question has long since been terminated and dismembered and I have no clue where all the old bits are. Back then I was always on the computer. We are talking like 15-19 hours a day. Most of the time was spent in Sports Car GT and rFactor, listening to music and surfing the web...but mostly skinning and racing...at least if I remember correctly lol. Computer was working fine before I left for a week long vacation. When I came back, the computer would not run more than 7 minutes. At the time I assumed CPU failure, but that didnt fix the problem so my next assumption was motherboard and eventually hard drives. They were configured in a RAID 0 Array. I never did get that machine running again......anyway thats beside the point.

Yesterday I found out that the drives we ok....well one was ok and one is getting weak, but they are good enough for me to try to salvage the data. Both spin up fine and I havent heard any abnormal noises since Ive hooked them back up. Obviously without the old board Im not going to get anywhere that way. Ive heard of programs that will reconstruct the Array, which as I understand....if the drives are physically ok, which they seem to be (found 4 other drives yesterday that are good when I thought they were junk!!!) according to Crystal Disk. So in theory that rules that failure out. Using ReclaiMe File Recovery (off of MajorGeeks) I found that the data seems to be somewhat intact...as I could actually preview some pictures. Supposedly that program would rebuild a RAID 0 and despite being listed as freeware on MajorGeeks, outside of analyzing the drives, its not freeware. But I figure if the data is intact that would suggest the original failure never had anything to do with the drives failing.

So now Im looking for the next step. Ive seen posts saying that they fixed theirs by deleting the array and building a new one and it didnt kill their data......I don't see how thats remotely possible. And like I said, the data isnt that big a deal to recover, but Ive got some free time on my hands and would like to see if I couldnt salvage it as a project and then reuse the drive....event if not long term since it is at least 11 years old lol. Id also like to not spend 100$ on RaidReconstructor, which I hear is my best chance since I don't have the original hardware. Maybe someone has a copy on hand they can lend me?
Spike Spiegel

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade

#2 Re: Recovering RAID 0

Postby Mongoose » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm

A little update: I found today that I was actually in the wrong program to start with yesterday. ReclaiME also has a Raid Recovery tool. I downloaded it and ran it on the two disks and according to that, the array should now be intact. I have saved an image of the array to my desktop along with an XML file to use in the file recovery program. I gather going beyond here may require paid license but we will see. Wonder if any of it will work in the first place.
Spike Spiegel