Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Silver
Primary Team: RecerzEdge
Car Numbers:

#1 Steam Game playing display.

Postby gbriden » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:10 pm

So here is the challenge.

When you select to play some of the older games GTR2 at GT Legends come to mind then you load the game your online status briefly shows the game name then reverts back to show you as simply Online so people assume you are free and post chats and such frequently interrupting game play.

Is there any way to make steam stay showing my real in game status.

G
Managing Director of RacerzEdge Racing .

ImageImage

bigcatfish80
Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Gold
Car Numbers:

#2 Re: Steam Game playing display.

Postby bigcatfish80 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:06 pm

I know of a few solutions.. though I'm still testing one of them and there might be an issue...

The easiest "solution" is to just tell Steam to go in "Offline Mode." You'll be offline so people can't bother you, but you also won't be able to see if any of your buddies are online either.

Another solution is to open up your friends list and manually change the status to "Away" or something else to let your buddies know you're busy.

The solution I've tried to use lately is to add the game's .exe file to your Steam library and then running the game from within Steam. When you run the game it will change your status to "Playing Non-Steam Game: {game name here}"

The issue with GTR2 and Steam is when you are using a modded version of the game - which is probably 90% of the time - Steam will recognize it at first, but then realize it isn't the official version somehow and change your status back to "Online." Add the modded version of the game's .exe to Steam and that should work.

I'm still testing this to see if there are any weird side effects. There might be one. The last two times I used this for a online GTR2 race, my game lagged really hard a few times. Coincidence? Possibly.

gbriden
Canada
Competitor
Competitor
Car Numbers:

#3 Re: Steam Game playing display.

Postby gbriden » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 pm

It's not that people bother me it is that they don't know I am playing so they completely unintentionally interrupt if you can get the notice thing sorted I will be first in line to test.

ImageImage

bigcatfish80
Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Gold
Car Numbers:

#4 Re: Steam Game playing display.

Postby bigcatfish80 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:27 pm

If it is the notifications that you just want to turn off, you can go to View/Settings/Friends and they give you the options to turn them off.

Last night I tested the Non-Steam game thing and that worked like a charm. I even had the Steam Overlay working on the modded version of GTR2.

gbriden
Canada
Competitor
Competitor
Car Numbers:

#5 Re: Steam Game playing display.

Postby gbriden » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Good now at least people see I am playing a game and will not send messages so much this is a good thing THANKS.

Seems weird though this is the Steam version I bought it along with the original yet steam game doesn't show correct either guess it was just to old for the steam menu to work with.

ImageImage