United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade

#1 Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby Mongoose » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:04 pm

So as some of you may know, Im still running a G25...which let me say is running just fine. It has had a couple of hiccups in the last 6 months, occasionally dropping all FFB when a new session starts. It has completely dropped power once or twice, but I suspect that was the USB hub its plugged into rather than the wheel itself. Either way I have started shopping for a replacement in the event that it goes sour soon so I was looking for some input on what you all thought about current Fanatec, Thrustmaster & Logitech wheels. Im well aware of pricing so what Im looking for is more based on quality, reliability and I guess how well it works as a whole.
Spike Spiegel

Alexi99
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Bronze

#2 Re: Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby Alexi99 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm loving my G29. I've had good luck with both TM and Logitech.
I think you would have more driver compatibility with Logitech.
Flip your ride, not your finger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Campos
Portugal
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Re: Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby Campos » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi,

As I'm still playing with a Driving Force GT from logitech I cannot give you an experienced opinion, however I've read some articles and made some price research a few months ago when I was thinking to replace my wheel, and I came out with these impressions:
- Logitech offers more value for money than TH, the undoubted good steering wheels from Thrustmaster are normally really more expensive...
- Medium level wheels from Thrustmaster aren't very good when compared to models like G27 (discontinued but still an excellent choice) or G29.
- Normally the pedals from Logitech aren't the top of the market, but you can combine the wheel with some Fanatec's or even make your own ones, I've seen some real interesting projects, using the stargate-NX PCB, some metal and springs from motorbike engine valves, some day I'll give it a try. :D

About fanatec I've only read about their pedals, which by the way seem to be real good... The bundles from them are a little bit expensive, but for that amount of money just got to be good, and they look good!!! :) For example, the entry level bundle from fanatec is aprox. double the price of a G29 bundle... Twice the fun? Don't know... :|

If you have patience you can look on this youtube channel "Inside Sim Racing" for some wheel reviews, these guys look very professional when it comes to sim racing.

Cheers,

gle
Germany
Trainee
Trainee

#4 Re: Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby gle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 am

My first wheel was and is the fanatec clubsport wheel base v2 with a hub and a real momo 35cm wheel - lot of config to do in games, then a big reel feeling.

Now i tried a logitech g25 - it felt like a toy.

But had I tried the Logitech first, I would probably think different.

I am not high-class, but very very spoiled... (hope this are in english the same words like in german!?)
Greetings

Gerald

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade

#5 Re: Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby Mongoose » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Yep, I think your words are right haha! Honestly right now I am leaning towards a Thrustmaster, but its still going to be a while I think before I can act on any of this. I love my G25, but I'm starting to get into some larger endurance races and in the last one, my FFB got soft after about an hour and a half, which is right about where most of our long races here end so I never feel it soften. Sometimes the FFB drops out altogether in GTR2 when going from Qual into the Race session, which actually happened at COTA in our Grand Am Revival series this year...that made for an interesting race. And its done it twice mid race.

Over all the wheel still seemed to perform ok this year other than those issues, but I have noticed the performance has been gradually degrading over the last couple of years, which I mean its a 10 year old wheel that's been getting used multiple times a week for 10 almost 11 solid years, so I kind of expect that it will lose performance over time. And for a large portion of the light level racing we do, it will still be an ok wheel for me in 2018 I think, but I'm considering running the entire RDLMS season next year if they bring it back, and with some luck I can join my team mates in VEC in 2018 and for those races, I will want a newer wheel.

And while I think I have my mind made up, anyone who is considering new wheels, check out all of the reviews on ISRTV (Inside Sim Racing). They helped me with my search and they can be very informative about wheels and their specs that you don't always see on the box or advert.
Spike Spiegel

gbriden
Canada
Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Silver
Primary Team: RecerzEdge

#6 Re: Fanatec vs Thrustmaster vs Logitech wheels

Postby gbriden » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

I also like ISRTV reviews but you MUST remember Thrustmaster is one of there MAJOR sponsors so you will always see them recommend TH wheels at the top.
Managing Director of RacerzEdge Racing .

ImageImage