Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade
Alternate Team: Corkscrew
Car Numbers:

#1 System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Mongoose » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had a problem Im currently experiencing and know how to fix it....or maybe can help me diagnose the problem.

Since earlier this year, and I cant remember when exactly, when racing in GTR2 and so far only in GTR2, My game will randomly go completely unresponsive, I lose graphics feeds to my game monitor, nothing works, and the audio hangs in the background. 8-15 seconds pass and things catch up and pick up where they left off, except A) It causes me to crash the car, B) I loose a ton of time on course and C) Im now angry because of points A and B. It happens randomly and I thought it only happened online, but come to find out to day it happens offline too. Ive heard when online that it looks like I lagged hard, which I guess if the system stops responding, thats what happens. Any idea what is causing this or where I should start looking?

Graphics drivers are up to date and always have been.

Win 7 Pro 64
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 8-Core
EVGA GeForce GTX 960
XFX TS Edition PRO650W

Most of the system was built 4 years ago. Graphics card and hard drive were replaced in November. Added liquid cooling in April. Happened first time Feb 15th.
Spike Spiegel

Alexi99
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Bronze
Car Numbers:

#2 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Alexi99 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:57 pm

what settings do you use in game?
do you use and "special" edits to the GTR2 shortcut?
Flip your ride, not your finger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

gbriden
Canada
Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Silver
Primary Team: RecerzEdge
Car Numbers:

#3 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby gbriden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:06 pm

The fact that everything locks up doesn't seem like video driver and your internet connection would not do this now as strange as it seems for me at least it points to a Memory buffer overload issue I see you have 32 Gig and win7 pro has access to ALL this still this is were I would begin looking.

Only other thing I can think of is something Else running in background that randomly kicks in task manager and reduce things.

If you can sort of predict when it will happen and if you have a second monitor you can try running resource monitor and see what is up.

G
Managing Director of RacerzEdge Racing .

ImageImage

bigcatfish80
Competitor
Competitor
Car Numbers:

#4 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby bigcatfish80 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Do you happen to do the ole Set Affinity GTR trick?

Definitely not a connection issue with it happening offline like that. Does it happen at any specific time during a race? Like only on straights or under braking?
I think you told me this has happened under different mods so I can't see it being a weird thing with a mod. I think you have the same GPU that I do so I find it unlikely to be that either.

Any chance you can attach your config settings file? I can compare it to mine just to see if there are major differences.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#5 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Mongoose » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Alexi99 wrote:what settings do you use in game?
do you use and "special" edits to the GTR2 shortcut?

Until I bought this new card I ran sort of medium settings even though I shouldve been able to run full settings. Course at the time I didnt know i was preparing for a computer parts bake sale :lol: Ive stepped it back up to full since I got the Hydro cooling...but its happened both with and without the cooling and it had been 3 since I replaced the vid card the first time it happened.

The only edit to the shortcut target is the trace line to find why the game CTD.

GBriden wrote:The fact that everything locks up doesn't seem like video driver and your internet connection would not do this now as strange as it seems for me at least it points to a Memory buffer overload issue I see you have 32 Gig and win7 pro has access to ALL this still this is were I would begin looking.

Only other thing I can think of is something Else running in background that randomly kicks in task manager and reduce things.

If you can sort of predict when it will happen and if you have a second monitor you can try running resource monitor and see what is up.

G

Unfortunately there is no prediction that Ive found yet. Ive run with Jet Boost on, Process Lasso off and some other things to try to lighten the load, but it hasnt seemed to matter.

Catfish wrote:Do you happen to do the ole Set Affinity GTR trick?

Definitely not a connection issue with it happening offline like that. Does it happen at any specific time during a race? Like only on straights or under braking?
I think you told me this has happened under different mods so I can't see it being a weird thing with a mod. I think you have the same GPU that I do so I find it unlikely to be that either.

Any chance you can attach your config settings file? I can compare it to mine just to see if there are major differences.

Happens Randomly. Odd that it didnt happen with GT3s at Mugello last night, but it did this morning when I did an early shakedown at Montreal. But It has happened with all of the GTR2 leagues we have run this year at least once. I even made a vanilla install from the disc with no XSR Patches and had it happen with mods and tracks we are using in the league. Thats why I don't think its the game directly either. As for the config file...let me see what I can find.
Spike Spiegel

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#6 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Mongoose » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Code: Select all

//[[gMa1.000f (c)2004    ]] [[            ]]
[COMPONENTS]
SEASONDIR=
SOUNDDIR=GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
VEHICLESOUND=GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
OPTIONSANIM=UIDATA\MOVIES\
OPTIONSFLAGS=UIDATA\ICONS\
OPTIONSSOUNDS=UIDATA\UISOUNDS\
OPTIONSDIR=UIDATA\
REPLAYDIR=REPLAYDATA\
TIMETRIALDIR=TIMETRIAL\
DRIVINGSCHOOLDIR=GAMEDATA\DRIVINGSCHOOL\
MOVIEDIR=MOVIEFILES\
TRACKSDIR=LOCATIONS\
PITSDIR=SCRIPTS\
VEHICLESDIR=TEAMS\
DRIVERSDIR=TALENT\
LOGDIR=USERDATA\LOG\
SAVEDIR=USERDATA\
MUSICDIR=MUSIC\
CAMERAEDITORRESOURCEDIR=DEVFILES\CAMED\
GRIDSIZE=50
CPURATING=5
SYSTEMRAM=0
VIDEORAM=-80
OBJDETAIL=2
TEXDETAIL=1
VIDEOGUID=D7B71E3E-5741-11CF-E04C-6B091CC2C735
VIDEODRIVER=0
VIDEOMODE=76
VIDEOREFRESH=0
WINDOWEDMODE=0
RUNBENCHMARKS=1
FSAA=0
VSYNC=0
SHADERLEVEL=0

[INSTALL]
INSTALLFROM=
INSTALLTO=

[VERSION]
VERSION=-1.000000
Spike Spiegel

gbriden
Canada
Competitor
Competitor
Driver Rating: Silver
Primary Team: RecerzEdge
Car Numbers:

#7 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby gbriden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Things I see....

SYSTEMRAM= 0 I fill this with 32000 ( actual system ram in 1000 units thus 32 Gig = 32000 )
VIDEORAM=-80 I Fill with 4000 ( 4Gig video ram )
OBJDETAIL=2 I use 3 ( don't think matter just BLING !!! )
SADERLEVEL=0 I have 3 ( don't think this matter either but... )
RUNBENCHMARKS=1 Mine is 0 ( not sure what this even does. )
Managing Director of RacerzEdge Racing .

ImageImage

bigcatfish80
Competitor
Competitor
Car Numbers:

#8 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby bigcatfish80 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Things I see that I see too:
SYSTEMRAM= 0 (Mine is at zero also, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try what Glenn said there)
VIDEORAM=-80 (Mine is "-2".... I honestly have no idea what exactly that means. I know from experience making tweaks to other game's config files that usually if there is a minus sign, that means you are asking the game to detect the number that should be there..)
OBJDETAIL=2 (Same here)
RUNBENCHMARKS=1 (Same... and like Glenn I have no idea what it does.)
FSAA=0 (Mine is at "33" - I seriously doubt that NOT having Anisotropic Filtering would cause this issue though)
VSYNC=0 (I have Vsync on "1" - and this might be a possible reason for the problem? Maybe the framerate somehow drops randomly to some weird zone where the monitor can't display it? Have you had the problem on different monitors and maybe different refresh rates?)
SHADERLEVEL=0 (Mine is "3" like Glenn. It's worth a shot changing this. I believe it ties in directly with what you select at the video configuration menu. 0=Auto Detect, 1=DirectX7, 2=DirectX8, 3=DirectX9. I picked DirectX9 because I discovered on my old computer that the game would always default to directX7 when I put it on Auto Detect even though my GPU was more than capable.)

Because it happens randomly, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to make a change or two and play the game. If it happens again then make another change somewhere.

If it means anything I do have the same Nvidia card you do. All my settings are currently on "Quality" in the control panel.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#9 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Mongoose » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:47 am

Ok Thanks guys. Ive got to put in some apps, first but I will give it a shot.
Spike Spiegel

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#10 Re: System locks up, lose 8-15 seconds

Postby Mongoose » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:19 am

So whenever I edit the config file, it brings up config dialogue next time I start the game. So I filled it out (just trying to see what it would output) DX9, Level 4 antialiasing, vsyc blah blah blah. Booted the game, went to full graphical settings on all fronts and ran a 50 lap race with the same cars, same size field. Not even the slightest of stutters. Once it was over I checked out the config file to see what was output....nothing stayed the way it was when I entered it, but some of the items are now different than what I originally posted. I dont get it. I guess I will continue to do shake downs in the future to see if it comes back or not...

Code: Select all

//[[gMa1.000f (c)2004    ]] [[            ]]
[COMPONENTS]
SEASONDIR=GAMEDATA\
SOUNDDIR=GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
VEHICLESOUND=GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
OPTIONSANIM=UIDATA\MOVIES\
OPTIONSFLAGS=UIDATA\ICONS\
OPTIONSSOUNDS=UIDATA\UISOUNDS\
OPTIONSDIR=UIDATA\
REPLAYDIR=REPLAYDATA\
TIMETRIALDIR=TIMETRIAL\