Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade
Alternate Team: Corkscrew
Car Numbers:

#1 Tech Support Forum

Postby Mongoose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Welcome to the Tech Support section of XSR. If your game isn't working right or your computer is having issues, this is the place to ask for help. If we cant help you here at XSR we can point you to those who can help. Please start a new threads for each new issue.
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#2 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby v12 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 am

Ok, heard today Microsoft will be officially dropping support for operating system windows XP. It runs my desk top which holds my games. Any idea as to what to expect? XP runs games very well and Ive put off changing over to anything else for this reason. What system do you use and do you have any advise in this area?

dah72094
United States of America
Ametuer
Ametuer
Car Numbers:

#3 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby dah72094 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Tom,

I have been running Windows 7 with no issues on GT Legends, GTR2, Race 07 (via Steam), etc. The important thing to remember is to install everything outside of the Program Files (x86) folder, as well as to run everything as administrator. Also, any game with Starforce Copy Protection will potentially cause an issue. I had to get a special installer for GTL to get it to run properly. Last but not least, if you have any old games (designed for Windows 95, 98, & 2000), Windows 7 may not be able run them. Windows 7 is really great for gaming, however, so if you are looking to upgrade, I would definitely go this route. I don't care much for Windows 8 due to the app screen; it really confused me. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to turn the PC off...:lol:

Daniel
When in doubt, turn up the boost...
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#4 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby Mongoose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 pm

I heard that the head of the Windows Dev team had to remove the option to go back to the start menu from Win8 because the rest of the dev team was turning the app screens off and not using them. Funny stuff really, but imo an obvious sign it was kind of a dumb idea. I'm on 7 myself and don't plan on bumping up to 8 until I must. It takes a bit to relearn where everything is in 7, but it isnt too bad. But like Daniel said, when you install your games, be sure to install them outside program files or everything will get jacked up. I have mine installing to a second hard drive (ssd for speed). GTR2 is installed straight to the desktop.
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#5 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby v12 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:22 am

Got pc problems thanks to wife messin with it. Now it wont shut down and loops one of those end program screens. Makes my game shutter in play with frame rate. Wanted to do a system restore but its shut off and tells me to contact domain administrator to turn it on again. Ahh that would be me..anyway cant race anymore till fixed and Im outta ideas as to how to get in to turn the restore back on. I don't remember turning it off btw Why would I?

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#6 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby v12 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:16 am

Its for sure now, Ill be without a pc for a week or so. Its a complete melt down as far as Im concerned. May even change the op system as well. :(

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#7 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby Mongoose » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am

damn that stinks man
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#8 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby v12 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Should get it back mid to late next week. Don't suppose the league would want to postpone Mondays race? Or make it a fun run so I don't drop so badly in points? That's what I thought.. :( Oh, check this out. The guy who is fixing my pc has a friend from school who actually worked on the development of rfactor 1! :o

Stephan
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#9 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby Stephan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:35 pm

v12 wrote:Ok, heard today Microsoft will be officially dropping support for operating system windows XP. It runs my desk top which holds my games. Any idea as to what to expect? XP runs games very well and Ive put off changing over to anything else for this reason. What system do you use and do you have any advise in this area?

Firstly I envy anyone who still has access to XP. My disks vanished and I would love to have them back, mainly just for gaming. As for windows dropping support, it doesn't mean XP will stop working, it just means Microsnot will no longer issue updates for it. Which I know doesn't sound like a bad thing, considering how much of a pain updates can be. But the main issue is there are no more security updates to be issued, which can make one's PC more vulnerable to OS hacks and attacks.

Got pc problems thanks to wife messin with it. Now it wont shut down and loops one of those end program screens.

There are two files in windows that should never be touched. The names escape me at the moment (because I avoid even looking at them) but basically one is a start up file, and the other is the shut down file..sounds like one was either deleted or nuked.

The important thing to remember is to install everything outside of the Program Files (x86) folder, as well as to run everything as administrator.

I have to disagree with that. I have several programs and games installed there, and they work fine. Also you don't have to run everything in admin. If you are the sole user of the PC, you should already be in admin mode. You can actually turn off that option..somewhere in the main start up settings (i think..its been a while)

I don't care much for Windows 8 due to the app screen; it really confused me. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to turn the PC off...

lol same thing happened to me :p But to get around all of the Win8 app mess, I recommend a program called "Classic Shell" It not only adds a start menu button, but you can set it to look (and run) like XP...there's also a version for Win7.
I use it on my PC and laptop and have to say it's one of the greatest add on programs every created!

The guy who is fixing my pc has a friend from school who actually worked on the development of rfactor 1!

I was able to be part of rF testing during the Alpha stage. Shame they changed it from the original idea and concept, would have been a real simulator if they had kept it like it originally was.

If anyone wants to try out classic shell and can't find it, or has any issues setting it up, let me know.

Cracka
Trainee
Trainee
Car Numbers:

#10 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby Cracka » Fri May 08, 2015 2:45 am

Hi I'm having an issue with GTR 2. The game was purchased using Steam. I got the Simbin Racing Bundle. It seems that GTR 2 is the only game not working. I previously had a cracked copy to try the game out so I'm not sure if that is causing any issue's. The first problem I had was I got a message d3dx9_41 was missing. I found that file and added it to Program Files (x86). The game now starts and I can access the setup menu, however when I try to select a race option the game crashes. I've tried to uninstall and delete all folders and d/l from steam again to set it up but still have the same problem. Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

test.pilot

#11 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby test.pilot » Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 am

As strange as it might seem lots of people are having problems with Steam versions.
Now Steam only allows you 1 install and that goes for online racing and offline

I recommend you to use more than one install, 1 for online racing and other or others for you to get your car park as suited as you like.

The link i had for the unoficial version of GTR2 is long gone so it means you have to torrent up a bit but in the end it will be a better result as you can use it on more than one install and without the Steam limitations that unfortanately happen.

If further help needed please PM me 8-)

Alexi99
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Bronze
Car Numbers:

#12 Re: Tech Support Forum

Postby Alexi99 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:56 pm

I use steam version with multi install. (just a different way of doing it).
Steam only likes the original install location, so I built default GTR2 with the basic patches etc in the original location.
THen copied it for storage. added mods to the orginal location, copied that to a storage area. deleted all files in the original location, copied back from the backup and added mods, backed it up for storage. It's quite a bit more tedious, but it does work.
Flip your ride, not your finger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage